Detox Day 5: Alkaline is Super Fine

Tahini Dressing for Veggies, in SKINNY DISH!

Woohoo to Day 5! Can you see the bread at the end of the tunnel? You’re so close!

Since it’s so so so important, here’s a recycled post on alkalinity from last year’s detox. pHabulous!:

You may or may not have caught the acid/alkaline breeze info in the Detox wind. Well, here it is again: Our blood and tissues love to be at a pH (measure of acidity/alkalinity) of about 7.35-7.45, which is slightly basic/alkaline. This is where your immune system is an immediate bad-guy destroyer and your overall health is sky high. As you loved learning in high school chemistry, the pH scale ranges from 0 to 14 with 0 to 6.9 being acidic, 7 being neutral, and 7.1 to 14 being basic (alkaline).

Contrary to what you may think, foods that are more acidic do not make your blood and tissues more acidic. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. Oranges, tomatoes = acidic. But shocker, they make your blood and tissues more alkaline. As you could have guessed, pretty much all veggies, fruits, dark leafies, unprocessed grains, and other healthy foods help to make your blood and tissues more alkaline, while meats, dairy, eggs, sugary goods, highly processed foods, coffee and alcohol make your blood and tissues more acidic. One reason loading up on healthy fluids, fruits, and veggies, and avoiding all the other foods is so good at helping you detox, is because you’re working the alkalinity. For more on pH, check here and here and here.

Now for some extra credit: Want to check your very own pH? Using your SECOND urine of the day, pee on one of these test strips (or ones similar). Is the Detox working? Hurrrahh!

You never thought this would be so much fun! Keep truckin’ and Happy Weekend! XOXO

Advertisements

7 Responses to Detox Day 5: Alkaline is Super Fine

1. Kelly says:

Woo, we made it to Friday! Ate the curry lentil soup last night – spicier than I anticipated! Everyone loved the Peachy Green Tea smoothie this morning. I laughed at Jen’s comment about bread because when I was making my daughter peanut butter toast this morning, I was thinking “Monday!” I think next time I detox, I might start on a Saturday and end on a Friday so I can celebrate on the weekend PB toast!!

I tested my pH this morning and it was 7.0. I was surprised/disappointed it wasn’t higher, but that doesn’t change the way I feel about the detox. It has really helped me get back on track and eliminate cravings. I am starting to think about what I want to do once it’s over. I like eating more raw, but I may switch to soup at lunch and salad at dinner. Also, will be going back to warm lemon water in AM instead of cucumber water. Would love to keep morning smoothies in play, but once I start going back to the gym before work (took this week off), not sure if it will work into the schedule. Definitely doing green juice on weekends.

In the meantime, TGIF!

2. Karen G says:

I glad it is Friday, too. While I didn’t follow the menu exactly, I did manage to eat according to the guidelines. I tend to over buy, and this week was no exception. So I’ve been trying to use up all my veggies before they go bad. Today I managed to make the beet smoothie (no juicer) but not exactly as it was listed. I sub’d organic pears for the apples, left out the carrots, added one scoop of vanilla Plant Fusion, and chia seeds. Very thick and filling, tasted much better today.

Question: Other than looking really pretty when we juice/blend them, what to beets do for us? (I have have no idea, need to do some research).

And another question: I’m making a conscious effort to buy organic all the time, but I get stuck when the organic item is really costly (like double the price) or when organic isn’t an option or available. Are you better off eating the non-organic item, or is it better to do without and wait until the next time?

Thanks and hope everyone has a great Friday-end-of-the-work-week.

Karen G

• Jen Reilly says:

Hey Karen! Sounds like we need that smoothie recipe 🙂

As for beets, they are majorly rich in folic acid, manganese, potassium, Iron, Beta-carotene, and Betalains (betacyanins and betaxanthins), which are a class of red and yellow-indole derived pigments which exhibit strong anti-cancer activity, scavenging free radicals with strong antioxidant activity (that’s straight out of the ingredient list I did for Kris Carr in her book, Crazy Sexy Juices & Succulent Smoothies

For the organics, If a totally organic diet isn’t doable, follow Environmental Working Group’s “Dirty Dozen” and “Clean 15” for which produce items should definitely be organic, and which ones aren’t high in pesticides and are ok to buy when not grown organically.

Dirty Dozen (buy organic): Celery, Peaches, Strawberries, Apples, Blueberries, Nectarines, Bell Peppers, Spinach, Cherries, Kale/Collard Greens, Potatoes, Imported Grapes.
      Clean 15 (ok to not buy organic): Onions, Avocado, Sweet Corn, Pineapple, Mangos, Sweet Peas, Asparagus, Kiwi, Cabbage, Eggplant, Cantaloupe, Watermelon, Grapefruit, Sweet Potatoes, Honeydew Melon.

Just 2 days left! 🙂

• Karen G says:

Very helpful to know this and to keep handy when I shop. I will check out EWG’s site.

For the beet smoothie I made: one whole beet including the stems and leaves, two pears, one scoop of Vanilla Bean Plant Fusion, two handfuls of spinach, one T of chia seeds, and about 9 to 12 ozs of water (to thin it out enough to drink). It pretty much filled up my stick blender container, which was why I didn’t add the other ingredients in. (about 375 cc’s).
        Funny observation……the beet turns your pee a beet-tinged color, like a neon light pink!!!

3. weight loss says:

I blog often and I truly thank you for your information. The article has really peaked my interest. I’m going to bookmark your website and keep checking for new information about once per week. I opted in for your Feed as well.

4. weight loss says:

Wonderful article! We will be linking to this particularly great post on our website. Keep up the great writing.