Detox Day 7: More Superfoods

Can you believe it’s the last day FINALLY? What a super journey this has been! Now that you’ve graduated from inhaling so many of nature’s powerfoods (berries, quinoa, broccoli, kale, spinach, beans, lentils…), I thought this would be a good opportunity to introduce the next class of the not-so-common ones so you can consider taking your newly found health one step further. What you’re already eating/not eating is HUGE, and these extras might just help you be even MORE superpowered!

Blue Green Algae: Superstar immune-booster. Basically flavorless and comes in powders, flakes, or frozen. Can be tossed into smoothies without changing the flavor. The TJ’s Very Green Dietary Supplement contains spirulina, a popular blue green algae. But, lots of folks swear by E3 Live.

Chia Seeds: Loaded with antioxidants, essential fatty acids (more than salmon), protein, and fiber, these little guys help keep you energized and help reduce unhealthy cravings. They are easy to digest and don’t need to be ground like flax seeds. Add them to breakfast cereals, muffins, cookies, smoothies, pancakes, anything really! Find my recipes for Chia Blondies and a Chia Colada here.

Maca Root Powder: Helps to balance hormones and battle stress by strengthening the adrenal gland. Has proven helpful in treating fertility, poor libido, and menopause. Can be added to oatmeal, smoothies, or rice dishes.

Raw Cacao: Helps elevate mind and mood, and is skyhigh in antioxidants. It contains theobromine which promotes alertness without the side-effects of caffeine. Add it to smoothies, or use it in baking or for puddings. Find it at your local health food store or check it out online as seen here.

Congrats on all you’ve learned, changed, and become this week. Cheers to energizing food and living life to its fullest! I’d love to hear how you benefited from these 7 days–please share! XOXO

Advertisements

13 Responses to Detox Day 7: More Superfoods

1. Loretta Toms says:

Hi Jen, I first want to say thank you for all your work to helping us stay healthy. I totally missed last week but will start tomorrow. I received a nutra bullet as a gift is that the same as a juicer? If not I do have a blender. I also will purchase your book as well. Thank you so much again and happy healthy 2013 to you. I am in need to get on track! Loretta

________________________________

• Jen Reilly says:

Hey Loretta! Let me know if you need some cheerleading help as you detox! The nutribullet isn’t a juicer, it’s more like a high-power blender like the Vitamix. It’ll be great for the detox — just use the blended recipes for the morning drinks. Good luck! – Jen

2. Connie says:

I did it! 🙂 Enjoyed the week. Didn’t have any difficulty. No detox symptoms and cravings. I hope that means I eat relatively healthy already so this wasn’t that dramatic of a change! I did lose 3 pounds and will keep eating more raw foods in hopes of keeping my metabolism revved! Thanks so much.

• Jen Reilly says:

Fantastic, Connie! Those pounds should stay off — just keep up a modified detox plan if you can and try not to make up for lost time with desserts or pasta 🙂 Cheers! – Jen

• Gerri says:

I made it! I have never successfully completed a planned detox before, let alone a 7-day detox, so this was really something for me. Most surprising? It was not hard. I’ve been moving in this direction for so long that my eating was not all that different. What was different was no coffee, but the green matcha latte was a delicious substitute. And just as I was craving chocolate, the chocolate chia pudding recipe came along from Jen. So now I have a new latte habit and a better chocolate choice (delicious). I lost four pounds, always a good thing. Thanks, Jen! I owe my most significant dietary changes to your wise counsel!

Gerri

• Jen Reilly says:

Hurray, Gerri! A huge congrats! Let’s meet for a celebratory green latte! 🙂 Jen

3. cassaba says:

I am really happy I did the detox! I stayed true to it with a couple minor exceptions: (1) had a Kind bar, (2) had vegan nachos on Saturday at a pub. The nachos were made with cashew queso, so I felt like they weren’t that bad a choice since there were corn chips and Fiery Cashew Dip on that day’s detox menu.

Here are my personal takeaways:

– No added sugar (except the Kind bar, 5g) for a week! So happy to be rid of it and the associated cravings! Not going back!!
    – Started drinking herbal tea on a regular basis. I quit drinking diet Pepsi 2.5 months ago after a 28-year addiction to soda. I had been replacing it with sugary food, and not drinking enough water. I am so glad to have added a healthy, hydrating replacement!
    – Ate veggie sushi and loved it!
    – Made my first green juice and first green smoothie.
    – No longer afraid of tofu! 🙂 Made the beet salad with tofu feta and loved it.
    – Made a cashew dip – have always wanted to do that.
    – Got back on a plant-based diet. I am new to vegetarianism and have had lapses in the past 3 years. I’ve only maintained a vegan diet for 30 consecutive days during that time. But now I feel confident that I can do it!
    – Lost 2 pounds and am putting the scale away this year and just focusing on eating this way.

I have had Jen’s cookbook since November, but hadn’t used it. It will now be my go-to because I enjoyed every recipe I made. 🙂 There were a few recipes on the detox plan that I didn’t make: Butternut Squash Arugula Salad, Fiery Greens, and Guacuamame, but I plan to make them this week.

Thank you Jen so much for putting this FREE program together and for being our cheerleader all week. It has made a big difference in my life!

4. cassaba says:

I am really glad I did the 7-day detox. I stayed true to the program with a couple of minor exceptions, and overall I had great results. I tried to make most of the recipes on the plan. I’ve had Jen’s cookbook since November, but hadn’t used it. Now it will be my go-to, because I liked everything I made from it!

My takeaways:

– No added sugar for 7 days (exception: I ate a Kind bar on Saturday that had 5g). Feels great to kick sugar and its associated cravings. With all of the fruit on the program, I didn’t even miss it.
    – Started drinking herbal tea regularly. I kicked a 28 year diet Pepsi habit about 2 months ago but didn’t replace it with nearly enough water. I was also satisfying my cravings for diet Pepsi with other sweet things (aka junk). So I’m really happy to now be drinking a healthy, hydrating alternative.
    – Had veggie sushi and loved it. Usually avoided it because of the avocado, but no more!
    – Made my first cashew dip which I’ve been wanting to do.
    – Made my first green juice.
    – No longer afraid of tofu. Thank you Tofu Feta, Walnut & Beet Salad! 
    – Lost 2 pounds. Am putting the scale away this year and just focusing on eating this way.
    – I feel like I have reset my body!

I have been moving toward a 100% plant-based diet for about 3 years, but I haven’t been consistent. This detox has helped me recommit and given me the confidence that I can do it. It has had a big impact on my life. Thanks Jen for putting it out there FREE and for being our cheerleader!

• Jen Reilly says:

I’ve got goose bumps for you! It makes me so happy to read about your success — Please be in touch, especially if life gets too crazy to keep you on a healthy path. I can help you steer your vehicle back to the right road! Hugs, Jen

• Kelly says:

Sorry about the double post, when my first one didn’t show, I retyped it. I think I may have actually submitted 3!! Anyway, I forgot to mention that I have been posting pics of the detox foods on my Facebook page and 3 friends have asked me questions about it and said that they intend to do the detox! 🙂

5. Connie says:

A friend introduced me to a Smoothie app on my cell phone. It is called Whole Living Smoothie App. It is a FREE app and has six categories. Essential Smoothies, Meal in a Glass Smoothies, Allergen Free Smoothies, Weight Loss Smoothies, Immunity Boosting Smoothies and Detox Smoothies. Today I had the Meal in a Glass Berry Tofu Smoothie.

2 cups frozen mixed berries (I used tropical smoothie blend–Strawberry, Pineapple, Mango)
    1/2 cup silken tofu
    1 banana
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes

I added a scoop of vanilla Alive! (vegetarian pea protein powder) and a splash of Almond milk.
    Very yummy!
    Connie

6. Jeff says:

Jenn I have to say the detox was AWESOME!!!! I shed 5 pounds which I didnt really think I had to but I guess I did 🙂 The food was great and never felt hungry once and thanks to everything you taught us the habits that we learned are going to be part of our daily lives.

Jeff

• Jen Reilly says:

You are SO welcome, Jeff! I’m thoroughly impressed with you guys! It takes a lot of guts to do a detox, or change habits in any way, even for a short time. You guys rock! Next time we go out, wheatgrass shots are on me! 🙂 XOXO